While playing online games, communicating with your teammates via voice chat players a very important role. It helps the team to coordinate with each other, give important commands or tp just chat with your friends. But what if you try to plug in a headphone to your Xbox One Controller and it won’t work? Well, worry not, because i am here with solutions to fix your Headphone Jack Not Working Issue.
Mostly, when the Headphone Jack on your Xbox One doesn’t work, it usually exhibits in the following ways:
- Others Can’t hear you and you cant hear others.
- Your headset keeps disconnecting.
- You can hear others but the audio quality is poor.
- The headset stops working sometimes and then works fine the other day.
These problems can come in slowly, and it’s even possible for this to appear and disappear due to the nature of the issue. In most cases, it’s either the headphones aren’t working or disconnecting the headset and connecting it back fixes the problem.
Why The Headphone Jack Isn’t Working?
There can be a lot of reasons why the headphone jack on your Xbox Controller isn’t working. The most common ones are listed below:
- Due to a weak connection between the headset and the controller.
- Faulty Headphone Jack port on your controller
- Internal Hardware or Software issues with the controller and the Xbox you’re trying to connect.
- Incompatible Headsets
- Weak Batteries
- Headset Not plugged in properly (Most Common)
How To Fix Xbox One Controller Headphone Jack Not Working Issue:
1. General Troubleshooting
- Disconnect your headset from your controller and then reconnect it firmly. One of the most common causes of Xbox One headsets malfunctioning is a poor or weak connection between your headset and your controller. Unplugging the connector, then softly plugging it back in, will most probably fix your problem.
- Examine the Xbox One headset, cord, and connector. If you find any damage to the cord, headset, or connector, then you may have a problem with your headset rather than of your controller.
If the cord is raveled, or the wires inside are not in good connection, then you’ll have to repair the wires or buy yourself a new headset. If you see anything like dirt or food on the connector, clean it with a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol.
- Make sure that the volume of your headset is not muted by pressing the volume indicators or other control buttons placed on your headset.
- Try your headset on another controller as well as a different headset to ensure if there is any hardware failure present in these devices.
- Test the headset port on your controller, using a flashlight, try to look inside the headset port on the controller. If you see any blocking, attempt to remove them with a small implement like a toothpick.
Even if you can’t see anything blocking the connection, there may be food or other particles stuck inside. Try blowing the port out with air to see if anything comes out.
- Check if your headset isn’t muted. Many headsets nowadays come with an instant mute toggle switch which is usually placed on the headset. Press the mute button and try to raise the volume to see if that helps.
- Remove the batteries and check if they have enough power to run the headset. Change the batteries if you notice that they are unable to run the controller.
- Unplug the power cable and wait for around 15 seconds and then reconnect the controller to the power cable. It will restart your console and will fix software glitches if any.
2. Change Xbox One’s Privacy Settings
When the microphone connected to your controller turns muted on your Xbox One due to your profile settings, then no sound on headphone occurs. If the child’s account is activated on your Xbox One, voice communication enables a limit. To fix this, you’ll have to sign in using the parent account to use your microphone.
To Check the profile settings, follow these steps:
- Press the Xbox One button on the controller and go to Settings.
- Open the All Settings option.
- Choose the Account tab from the left panel.
- Click on Privacy & online safety.
- Now click on View details & customize the button on the right side.
- On the next window, select Communicate with voice and text option.
- Now select with whom, you want to enable talking to, such as friends or everybody.
Now check if you can communicate with others using the microphone.
3. Check The Chat Mixer
To check the party chat, follow these steps below:
- Open System Settings and Choose the Display and sound option.
- Choose the Volume option on the next window.
- Now, You can see an option to balance the party volume with the slider present. Set the slider in the middle of the volume bar.
Now check if the Xbox One Headphone Jack issue is fixed.
4. Performing Power Cycles On Your Xbox
Many users confirmed that doing a power cycle on your Xbox One can fix the Xbox One controller headphone jack not working issue. If the issue is caused by an Xbox glitch, then you can fix it by doing a power cycle method. Here’s
- Press and hold the Xbox One power button for 10 seconds until you see the LED indicator goes off.
- Now wait for 5-10 mins and turn the Xbox One on by pressing the Xbox button on the console.
- When the boot-up is done, you’ll see an animation with a green background on the screen. If you don’ see any animation like this, then repeat the process again.
- Once the console is turned on, connect the headset and check if the problem is resolved
5. Last Choice
If you have tried everything mentioned above and nothing has worked for you, then most probably the headphone jack on your controller is physically damaged. And without any professional experience, If you try to unscrew your controller and fix it yourself, then you can cause temporary or permanent damage to some delicate parts and it will also void the guarantee if it’s still in the guarantee period. So it’s suggested that you take your Xbox Controller to the nearest service center and get if fixed by them.
You can also try replacing your Xbox Controller or your headset if you want to avoid going through the long and exhausting process of getting it repaired from the service Center
I hope this article helped you in fixing the ‘Xbox One Controller Headphone Jack Not Working’ issue. If yes, then do let us know which one of these methods worked for you in the comments section. If you have queries related to this or any other related topic, then do let me know in the comments down below. Visit https://beta.support.xbox.com for more info.